Wednesday, January 14, 2009

One Crazy Park

Yesterday, the boys laid down at their normal time for their nap. All was quiet and well in my home. I sat down and began to delve deep into my work only to hear them up an hour later. What?!


Rich said, "Be a mom first, and take them to the park". I said "okay"....but I'll throw in some errands too, I must be productive, you know.


We went to the park here by our house, and the boys had a ball. There was another lady there with a daycare nearby that had her kids out there and they were having fun together. That is until...




Highschool let out.




Those testosterone filled alpha males--along with a few testosterone filled females, just saying--made their way across the park with such determination in their faces--you felt assaulted just by seeing their faces. I could see them coming towards the playground. Rusten was at the top of the slide, and Reed was standing by me. However, Rusten was in between me and the mob. I stood there contemplating my options....do I stand still and hope Rusten does the same, like they were wild animals and will leave you alone if you don't pose a threat, or do you run up and snatch your children? I chose to slowly make my way towards the slide because, so help me God, if they even brushed the hair of my little boy, I was gonna get filled with testosterone, or adrenaline...whatever.


They met their opponent on the basketball court and there it all began. How stupid. Sorry. It's stupid. They began beating each other up. I collected my kids and made my way to the car, because regardless of how stupid it is, the danger is really there because I didn't know what weapons would surface, and I wanted them to be safe. I called the cops. Here's how that went:




Me: Hi, I'm at Stonecreek Park and there's a fight going on here.


Operator: How many people are in the fight, twenty? How many?


Me: Well, it looks like they're taking turns fighting each other, but there's at least 25 in the crowd.


Operator: Okay.


Me: Oh, now they're all running.


Operator: Where are they running?


Me: (Hmmm....let me ask them real quick) Well, some are running into the development, some towards the street here. Really, I'm not sure, I'm trying to get my kids to the car and make sure they're safe.


Operator: Okay ma'am. We'll have someone drive by and check it out. Thank you. *click*


Me: Uh, bye?
Ah. There. Now I feel safe. We're done going to the park for now.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. I had a similar experience last year at Tevis Park right as High School got out and haven't gone back since...

    ...but that might also be because I'm afraid the the guys I turned in for tagging (who saw me very clearly as I got their license plate number) might be there and remember me...

    anyways...yeah, from now on the park is a middle of the day or weekend kind of activity. No more afternoons.

    Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!!! How scary!!! Is there a safer park for you to go to?

    Thanks for commenting on my blog. I remember you from my Six Days of Christmas giveaway. I've added you to my blog roll, if that's okay.

    ReplyDelete