Monday, December 8, 2008

Spreading Christmas Cheer: New Stockings

I decided this year that we would all have matching stockings, and since we're not made of money, I would make them. Nice stockings are about $20 each, and I made these for about $4 each.

I love to cook, but sewing...notsomuch. It turned out okay though...thanks mom!

I used a pattern of another stocking of a size I liked. I cut out my nice material, my muslin backing, batting, and the cuffs. Then last night, my mom and I hand-stitched little stars into the stockings--to tack the back, stuffing and front together. They turned out really cute.

Then I sewed it all together. It was awfully confusing at first, figuring out how to sew it, but between my mom and I and a stocking she had made before, we conquered!

Here are our new stockings!! (I'm still going to go get a gold pen to write names on them, but here's a pre-name peek.)



Oh yes, and as I was taking these pictures, Rusten grabbed an old stocking and put it on, like you're supposed to, and yelled "MOM, take a picture of me!". So I did.

4 comments:

  1. Your stockings are cute! Ours don't match :(

    Loved the Thanksgiving table decor, too!

    Your blog is so festive! How do you do the music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stockings:)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new stockings!

    I'm a very lucky girl, my mother is talented, so we have knitted ones. The funny thing - when my husband and I finally saw each other's stockings during our dating days, we had a good laugh.

    Turns out his mama is talented too. We had matching stockings.

    Fate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do that as a kid!

    ReplyDelete