Saturday, August 9, 2008

What Do You Even Say?!

Last night, as we were thinking about going to bed, the people upstairs were making quite a bit of noise stomping about. Rich was getting mad, and I just figured it was no big deal because we sleep in the back of the apartment, and they were making noise in the front. So we go climb in bed.
Immediately afterwards, there is a huge crash and screaming upstairs. I swear to you that crazy woman was beating her daughter. They were screaming at each other and thrashing about. I threw on some shorts and ran upstairs, pounding on their door. I knocked several times, thinking that little girl was in trouble. Rich was at the bottom of the stairs with the phone. I told him to call 911 because she was beating that girl and wouldn't open the door. Just after I said that, she opened the door.
The door opens, and before I can say much, she says "Sorry, but my daughter's throwing a fit. I can't control her, and I'm sorry you have to listen to this, but there's nothing I can do. I'm a single mom....blah, blah, blah, excuse, blah, blah...." ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Who's the adult in that apartment....just curious? She proceeded to tell me how her daughter was throwing a fit because she had asked her to get off the computer and go to bed. Very obviously, she didn't want to! The mother told me that 'hopefully' she'll want to go to bed soon.
She made sure to show me her daughter because I think she knew what I was thinking. The daughter had her arms crossed and was looking down, and when she looked up at me, she looked mad! The mom made her apologize to me. I made sure they knew that we hear quite a bit of what they do, and that they do wake my children up. She said....get this....."I know, I tell her that you have a baby, but I just can't control her." I wanted to beat that mom!!!!!
As I walked away I said "thank you"???? What was I thinking...she apologized, so I thank her?! Oh well! I came down the stairs in shock. I walked to bed in a stupor, not believing the line I had just been fed! I've heard of parents like this, but I've never actually met one!
Even as I'm typing this, I can hear stomping upstairs.......

No comments:

Post a Comment